Friday, November 2, 2007

Interpretation of Language

To the left, is my 3D representation of the English language,
and all other languages turned inside out; as the world continues to speed up, and boundaries become blurred .

If not noticed right away this is a broken keyboard found is a neighbor's trash, or rather, more precisely, found in the street where the "garbage" was left for the taking.

I was inspired by the keys, and what words I could make with the disassembled alphabet, as well as all of the "extra keys" which are communicating something, but it's not always clear.

What are F1- F6 for ,and F8- F12 for? I have only ever used F7 for my spell check.

Quickly was my association with texting, e-mails and blackberries that have completely taken the English language to a new level.
By stating a new level, I do not mean a higher, nor more intelligent one.
Quite the contrary.

Originally I wanted to create this piece with the keys falling off in different directions and lengths displaying the fall off of the importance of spelling and grammar in our society today, but as this piece developed, it mealy became symbol of the absence of language and what one can achieve with out one at all. How else can one communicate? Through movement, light and sounds.

I came to a point where I am no longer frustrated with the endless Texting of today, or the loss of snail mail, (the phrase, 'snail mail' in itself is a new invention of the time that we live in).

Instead I resolved myself to a place where I can see the benefits of the languages of the world merging in to a new language, not yet known. My fantasy is that we could come to a universal resolution on what word from each language was most esthetically pleasing to ones ears.
To continue to use that word for the item or thing or feeling that we were trying to say- and that would be come universal. Maybe we will speak a future language of a mix of English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Arabic and Hebrew, to name a few.

I guess keyboards might have to become a little bigger, as the world grows smaller.

Here's to more garbage giving us the insight into the future.

Scully 11.2.07

No comments: