Friday, May 30, 2008

The Blue Bag Project Part I


The Blue Rectangle Project

Stemming out of my desire to have communicative interactions with daily commuters on the Pulaski Bridge, that spans from Greenpoint, Brooklyn to Long Island City, Queens over the New Town Creek, I created the Blue Rectangles.

For years I have passed over this bridge and have seen under utilized garbage bag ties that make up random patterns all over the bridge. Over my years of living in this neighborhood garbage cans have replaced the garbage bags tied to the fence, however the ties remain.

Using the bright blue New York Times delivery bags, of which I have plenty, I created frames on the fence. They frame the Empire State Building, encouraging passers by to stop on their daily commute to enjoy not only color that is not usually there, but to look at the city with fresh eyes.

I encourage interaction with these rectangles and have made some with deliberate spaces in them, hoping that others will fill in the "Blanks" with their bags. It reminders us to take time out of each day to do something enjoyable, at the same time contemplating the amount of waste that we each produce and how to create a second life with what we have come to throw out.













3 comments:

m said...

aha! mystery solved. i love them. thanks.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the outline of the NYC skyline! Thanks for the surprise!
:)

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the outline of the NYC skyline! Thanks for the surprise!
:)